Black Friday | Free Shipping | Ends 1st Dec
If your ceiling does not have a cornice, or you’re mounting your track inside a bulkhead or recess, we recommend top-fixing your curtains. Your bulkhead or recess needs to be at least 100 mm deep to accommodate a single curtain.
If you've decided to measure so that your curtain just covers the window, follow the below steps:
1. Measure the width of your window
2. Add between 100-150mm to each side. This will ensure that when the curtains are fully open, they frame the window and allow as much light as possible.
Remember: curtains will bunch approx 30% of the width of your track. If using a centre opening curtain, fabric will bunch 15% on each side.
If you want your curtains to cover the whole wall, follow the below steps:
1. Measure the width of your wall from left to right
2. Take a 10mm deduction from your width to allow for the track
1. Position your measuring tape at the ceiling and measure down to where you’d like the curtain to finish. Take this measurement in two separate places.
2. Just above the floor we recommend deducting around 5mm from the selected drop measurement to ensure your curtains fit just above the floor; OR
3. If you want a puddling effect, we recommend adding 30mm to your selected drop measurement.
Keep in mind that floors can be uneven and all fabrics fall differently. Getting your curtain to ‘kiss the floor’ can be difficult, so we recommend either designing it to sit just above the floor or to puddle. Fabric can move up to 3%.
We'd love to learn more about your project and provide any product + design advice.
Got questions? Our Help Centre has the answers! It's basically Curtains 101 and easy to follow guides.
Learn more about our DIY curtains
and how we do things around here